Wednesday, February 11, 2009

ROAR Book: To Engineer Is Human

5-4-3-2-1
5.Comments:
  • I don't think I would read Thomas McKaig's book titled "Building Failures".
  • I don't think I would read D.I. Blockley's book titled "The Nature of Structural Design and Safety".
  • In both of the books that I have just mentioned there are a lot of reasons why structures fail; some structures fail due to vehicle impact, lack of sufficient preliminary information.
  • I don't think I would like to become an engineer when I grow up.
  • This is an informative book that I would suggest others who are interested in engineering to read.
4.Questions:
  • Who is Nevil Shute?
  • Who is Robert Byrne?
  • What does the ENR stand for?
  • Who is Steven S. Ross?
3.Vocabulary:
  • Connoisseurs: A person with expert knowledge or training, especially in the fine arts
  • Paradigm: a set of forms all of which contain a particular element, esp. the set of all inflected forms based on a single stem or theme
  • Postmortem: occurring after the end of something; after the event
2.Literary Terms:
  • Indirect Characterization: Thomas McKaig's book Building Failures is a widely known collection of case studies intended for the use of engineers, architects, and contractors." (page 204). Thomas McKaig is a writer and engineer.
  • Simile: "Engineers cannot, like the architects, cover his failures with trees and vines." (page 215)
1.Overview Sentence:
  • Describes different books that explain the causes of structure failures and how the causes occur; this is the end of the book.

No comments: