Thursday, February 26, 2009

Roar Book: Monkey Bridge by Lan Cao

5-4-3-2-1

5.Comments:
  • From reading the description of the book, my parents can somewhat relate to Mai's life in the United States since my parents are also immigrants from Vietnam.
  • Mai's mother's name is Thanh and my Vietnamese name is Thanh too.
  • I have been to Saigon (I believe now it is called Ho Chi Minh City) before and it's the largest city in Vietnam; it's very crowded there.
  • The first page use lots of descriptive words such as warm, wet, rose, solemn, etc.
  • So far this book to me is very interesting due to the fact that I am Vietnamese and also because Mai's life is very similar to how my parents' life was like back when they immigrated to the U.S.
4.Questions:
  • Is Golden Hordes a Mongolian Army?
  • Where is Peking located?
  • What does "Indochinese" mean?
  • How old is Mai and Bobbie?
3.Vocabulary:
  • Permanence: the quality or state of being permanent; continuance in the same state or place; duration; fixedness; as, the permanence of institutions; the permanence of nature
  • Intermediary: acting as a mediator or an agent between persons or things.
  • Unpropitious: unfavorable; inauspicious
2.Literary Terms:
  • Simile: "A pair of veins ran along the sides of his prizefighter's neck like electrical wires." (page 21)
  • Metaphor: "Her body had become a battlefield..." (page 7)
1.Overview Sentence:
  • Mai described her mother's health condition.

No comments: