Friday, February 27, 2009

Roar Book: Monkey Bridge by Lan Cao

5-4-3-2-1

5.Comments:
  • The word ostentatious was a vocabulary word in my ELA class.
  • Bobbie seems like a very good friend since he has been supporting Mai and her mother while they are going through a somewhat hard time.
  • I did not know that they had Hostess Twinkies back then; I don't like Hostess Twinkies though (too sweet).
  • Vietnamese people call adults who they know as aunt or uncle; they call it out of respect.
  • My family also celebrate Tet with friends and family; I love the celebration because it is very a fun and energetic Vietnamese holiday.
4.Questions:
  • What does the Vietnamese saying "Parents point, children sit and the American saying "Children point, parents sit" mean?
  • What is the movie or show I Dream of Jeannie about?
  • What are sea swallows' nest?
  • What are ghost money?
3.Vocabulary:
  • Regurgitating: to cause to surge or rush back; vomit
  • Stoic: one who is seemingly indifferent to or unaffected by joy, grief, pleasure, or pain
  • Ambiguity: doubtfulness or uncertainty of meaning or intention
2.Literary Terms:
  • Simile: "As a child I could lie in his arms, and they held me like a sturdy hammock on a windy day." (page 59)
  • Simile: "It was a tactic as smooth and sleek as hot wax on tender skin." (page 61)
1.Overview Sentence:
  • Mai describes her father as a person and Vietnamese customs.

No comments: