Monday, October 13, 2008

ROAR Book: Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

5-4-3-2-1

5.Comments:
  • The way Elizabeth Gilbert described the food that she ate in Italy so far makes me want to go and try the food.
  • I think Elizabeth made the right decision to not continue to use the drugs that her psychiatrist had prescribed for her.
  • I am glad that Elizabeth isn't depressed anymore and is willing to forget about her past.
  • I am happy that Elizabeth made new new friends like Susan and Sofie.
  • I think Elizabeth is really brave for not falling under the pressure to use drugs to help solve her problems.
4.Questions:
  • What is an Ashram?
  • How good is Elizabeth with speaking Italian now?
  • Will Elizabeth end up falling in love with Luca Spaghetti?
  • Will Luca Spaghetti leave his girlfriend who he's been with since he was a teenager if Elizabeth was to fall in love with him?
3.Vocabulary:
  • Cadence: 1. fall of the voice in speaking 2. rhythm; measured movement
  • Elitist: consciousness of or pride in belonging to a select or favored group
  • Vernacular: the everyday speech of a country or place
2.Literary Terms:
  • Indirect Characterization: Susan is very caring. "Susan rushed into my apartment about an hour after my emergency phone call." (page 50)
  • Metaphor: "Giovanni's sweetness, in my opinion, makes him a national treasure of Italy." (page 56)
1.Overview Sentence:
  • Elizabeth made new friends who are extremely kind to her, especially Sofie, a girl who Elizabeth met in her language class.

No comments: