Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Roar Book: Monkey Bridge by Lan Cao

5-4-3-2-1

5.Comments:
  • Mai's imagination of how her grandfather might have died a violent death was very cruel.
  • I have eaten mango ice cream before but i ate it in Vietnam; I did not really like it though.
  • I have never tried pig feet before and I don't think I ever will.
  • I have tried sweet and sour fish soup before; I don't really like it but there is another kind of soup that is very similar to the sweet and sour fish soup which sweet and sour shrimp soup (I like the shrimp soup better).
  • Some food that Mai's mother made sounds very good; I would like to try them.
4.Questions:
  • What is Cao Dai?
  • What is tripe stew?
  • What does FDA stand for?
  • What type of ao dai did they order (there is more than 1 type)?
3.Vocabulary:
  • Rendezvous: an agreement between two or more persons to meet at a certain time and place
  • Subversive: in an attempt to overthrow or cause the destruction of an established or legally constituted government.
  • Curlicues: A fancy twist or curl
2.Literary Terms:
  • Imagery: "...scraping the sweet golden flesh of a ripe mango into a blended mix of milk, cream, yellow rock sugar, and vanilla ice cream." (page 216)
  • Simile: "...I could still feel the aftershock of the concoction, a sharp smarting sting like Japanese horseradish." (page 223)
1.Overview Sentence:
  • Mai and her family is celebrating Tet; describes what they do on this holiday.

No comments: