Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Roar Book: Monkey Bridge by Lan Cao

5-4-3-2-1

5.Comments:
  • I use to do the same thing Mai did (read her mother's "diary") but instead I read my older sisters diary.
  • Mai's mother consider Mai before anything as I read in the ninth chapter; I believe that most parents put their children first on the list.
  • I did not know that they had Ovaltine drinks back then; I use to see commercials for the drink.
  • My mother was just like Mai's mother because they both got married at a young age.
  • Vietnamese people tend to think that girls should get married before anything else; getting a good husband is very important to Vietnamese people.
4.Questions:
  • Where is Guam?
  • What are sampans?
  • What are sweetmeats?
  • Is Newtonian a place? If so, where is it located?
3.Vocabulary:
  • Monsoon: the seasonal wind of the Indian Ocean and southern Asia, blowing from the southwest in summer and from the northeast in winter
  • Phlegmy: one of the four humors of ancient and medieval physiology, thought to cause sluggishness, apathy, and evenness of temper.
  • Pewter: any of various alloys in which tin is the chief constituent, originally one of tin and lead
2.Literary Terms:
  • Simile: "My grandfather's last day, or what I supposed to be his last day, in Saigon lingered like a lantern on a gray, motionless night." (page 164)
  • Imagery: "...the molten fluidness of the rice fields, the graceful sanctuary of a covenant, and the blinding purple of bougainvilleas." (page 168)
1.Overview Sentence:
  • Mai secretly read her mother's "diary" for the second time.

No comments: